Friday, November 29, 2013

Alone

Children often lead the way in grief. They don't know they're doing it, and it's not their job, but it's just what seems to happen. This morning my daughter who is 5 drew this:


To me it represents one of the messages we have been trying to send to other bereaved families through Still Life Canada: you are not alone. I've been lucky in one respect since Toren died - I have never really felt alone. A dear friend who had a stillborn son a few years ago was my first support system. She offered love and support pretty much from day one and has continued to do so ever since. I also started attending a support group last year and met "the best friends that we wish we had never met", as Peter said at Toren's memorial service. I feel these are friends for life. I also became aware of organizations doing important work for bereaved families around the world - MISS Foundation, Sands NZ and others. Then I met the founding families of Still Life Canada last summer and together, with more and more families, we are building a community of support here in Canada which otherwise does not seem to be there. Having this strong support system makes me feel like I could face anything, survive anything. Maybe even thrive one day. For this I am grateful. 

If you can reach out to someone today who might be feeling alone, please do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment